First Time in Madura

One of my favorite traveling places is Madura Island, East Java, Indonesia. Why? Besides my big brother work there (so I can stay there...



One of my favorite traveling places is Madura Island, East Java, Indonesia. Why? Besides my big brother work there (so I can stay there for free), I'm interested with their shapes of cultures. For me, Maduranese cultures are unique one, since it politically became one areas with java island and had connected by Suramadu great bridge trough Surabaya (east Java), but Maduranese has different cultural term of references when it compared with the Javanese. Just look at the way they talk, and you'll know what I mean.

Further, besides interest, I had a though that Maduranese culture are the one who creating a basic of thinking that shapes the habits of a hard worker. Of course, if we really see it trough deeper analysis. Apparently, most of Maduranese people don't realize that, just like Javanese and other "Traditional" society facing now, an unknown transition to reach their "modernism" dream. (I bet that they'll confused when I asked to mention what kind of modernism they want to reach).

I made the video with my two friends at middle of September 2010 after taking pictures of Maduranese traditional events like 'Sapi Sono' and 'Karapan Sapi'. They were Hafidz Novalsyah (now in National Geographic Traveler) and Taufan Yusuf Nugroho (Surakarta local Media, JogloSemar), both of them are a fine dedicated photographer. We taking some picture stories arround Pamekasan district while spending our last day on the island. After the routes fixed, suddenly, came up an idea to make their candid video (rather than doing nothing). Anyway, I have my video camera finished taking the two big events the day before. (yes)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Mari bertukar pikiran...